I have over 20 years of experience as a chess coach and teacher. As a teacher and Chess Master, I recognize that playing chess can help students of all ages to grow both personally and academically, regardless of whether they are pursuing chess as a hobby or as a competitive sport. Therefore, I am passionate about teaching chess and I am an advocate for motivating students to play chess. The following are the different types of chess instruction services I offer:
- Private and Group Chess Lessons
- Chess (Summer) Camps
- Formal Chess Coaching and Instruction in Schools
1. Private and Group Chess Lessons
I provide private and group chess lessons on a regular basis to several students. Generally, the private lessons entail 1-2 hours weekly sessions (more frequent sessions can be arranged). My private lessons are tailored to best fit the individual I am teaching. I start by understanding the ambition and goals of the student, then assess his or her chess skill levels, and then develop a training program that will best help the student meet his or her goals and objectives. As school teacher by profession, I am well versed in encouraging and motivating students to learn by making the lessons interesting, yet educational.
My students stay with me for several years — many of my students started with me as beginners have blossomed into seasoned chess players who have continuously progressed in chess and have won many tournaments. For information on private and group chess lessons please call me at: 443-839-6361 or email me at: email@example.com.
2. Chess Summer Camps
I also organize several chess camps in several locations across the Greater Baltimore area. In the past, we have hosted chess camps at Cockeysville Middle School, Park School, McDonogh School, Roland Park Country School, etc. If you would like to learn more about our upcoming chess camps, please sign up for my email updates by <Clicking here>. Here are a few of the Chess Camps for 2014.
3. Formal Chess Coaching and Instruction in Schools
My chess program has been instituted in more than 15 different schools across Maryland. To get more information about chess instruction in your or your childrens’ school or to start a chess club, please contact me at 443-839-6361 or email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
See what my students, their parents, and my colleagues have to say about me.
- “I have known William Morrison for over 30 years. William has been a chess master for this length of time and has been teaching just as long. Not only is William one of the highest rated chess players in the country (99.4 percentile of USCF rated players), he is also one of the finest chess teachers you can find. William’s most talented scholastic students are rated in the top 100 USCF players for their age group in the country. William has been instrumental in their chess development. I recommend William unequivocally as a great teacher and mentor.”
- “We have known William Morrison for almost 4 years. Our son attended chess camps organized and taught by Mr. Will and has received private lessons from him as well. Our son has blossomed from a beginner to a Varsity player (USCF rating of 1500+). Most importantly, Mr. Will’s teaching style has not only helped our son progress in chess but also increased his passion for playing chess. Our son eagerly looks forward to the weekly coaching sessions with Mr. Will. We would strongly recommend him to our friends and family.“
Naomi Duffort & Abbas Merchant
- I can think of no other person that I would like to see teach chess to kids of any age. William Morrison is a very strong and accomplished chess player, member of the BLACK BEAR SCHOOL OF CHESS, winner of many chess tournaments and accomplished school teacher. What a wonderful combination. He brings magic to the table.
Herminio Baez , Owner Operator BGSCHESS,
Director of the Black Bear School of Chess Dallas Texas
- “Coach Morrison’s teaching method is very interactive and innovative. His positional and tactical insights are highly instructive and inspiring. His attention to Opening preparation and theory reveal state-of-the art in chess instruction and practice. I am proud to call him friend and mentor.”
A seasoned chess player who has been an expert most of his career and is the author of the seminal article on the history of black chess masters.
- I have known William Morrison for over forty years as a friend, chess instructor, and briefly, a room mate. During this period, I have benefited from his chess chess prowess and teaching expertise. Although I am only an occasional player, my strength online is between 1600-1700. When we first met I was an unrated ” third class wood pusher.” I have Found William’s or’The Nator’ as he is affectionately known in the Baltimore chess scene, methods to be highly energizing and effective. I am and proud and honored to recommend him as a chess instructor for pupils of any age.
Cameron E Bright