Greetings! I am William Morrison, an Internationally ranked Chess Master and a seasoned chess coach and teacher with over 20 years of experience as a chess coach in teaching students of all ages. I have served as chess coach to elementary school children to mature adults. My students have ranged from beginners, intermediates, experts, to chess masters.
Some of my notable accomplishments include:
- Internationally Ranked Chess Master
- USCF peak rating of 2536
- Bestowed with the title of “the Exterminator” for mastery of tactical style
- 2 Time Winner of the Maryland State Championship
- Winner of the Mid- Atlantic Regional Championship
- World Open Masters Champion
- World Open Expert Champion
- Chess Certification Level 3
- Served as tournament director and referee in official tournaments
- UMBC Chess Instructor — Course: “Master Preparation”
- 20 years of experience in teaching chess and as a chess coach
- 15 years of experience as a teacher in the Baltimore City Public Schools
My Chess Teaching Philosophy
I tailor my teaching approach to best fit the individual I am teaching. I start by understanding the goals and interests of the student, then I assess his or her chess skill levels, and then based on these two important pieces of information I develop a training program that will best help the student meet his or her goals and objectives.
Maurice Ashley, an International Grand Master said “Chess is not a panacea. It never will be, chess, for me, is more like a spark. Chess has the ability to light a fire in a child’s imagination. Once you do that, you have the most powerful force in the world.” I agree with my respected colleague’s point of view and strive to light that spark in my student’s imagination. While my teaching approach includes what you might expect from an excellent chess coach such as chess theory, strategy (openings, middle, and end game), tactics, game evaluation, tournament preparation, home work/assignments, etc., what distinguishes my approach from others is my focus on igniting a passion for playing chess in my students hearts and minds.
As school teacher by profession, I am well versed in encouraging and motivating students to learn and I utilize my formal teaching experience in coaching chess. My students stay with me for several years. Many of my students started with me as beginners have become seasoned chess players that continuously progressed in chess and have won many tournaments. See what my students, their parents and my colleagues have to say about my teaching style.
- “I have known William Morrison for over 30 years. William has been a chess master for this length of time and has been teaching just as long. Not only is William one of the highest rated chess players in the country (99.4 percentile of USCF rated players), he is also one of the finest chess teachers you can find. William’s most talented scholastic students are rated in the top 100 USCF players for their age group in the country. William has been instrumental in their chess development. I recommend William unequivocally as a great teacher and mentor.”
“We have known William Morrison for almost 4 years. Our son attended chess camps organized and taught by Mr. Will who has also served as his chess coach. Our son has blossomed from a beginner to a Varsity player (USCF rating of 1500+). Most importantly, Mr. Will’s teaching style has not only helped our son progress in chess but also increased his passion for playing chess. Our son eagerly looks forward to the weekly coaching sessions with Mr. Will. We would strongly recommend him to our friends and family.“
Naomi Duffort & Abbas Merchant
- I can think of no other person that I would like to see teach chess to kids of any age. William Morrison is a very strong and accomplished chess player, member of the BLACK BEAR SCHOOL OF CHESS, winner of many chess tournaments and accomplished school teacher. What a wonderful combination. He brings magic to the table.
Herminio Baez , Owner Operator BGSCHESS,
Director of the Black Bear School of Chess Dallas Texas
- “Coach Morrison’s teaching method is very interactive and innovative. His positional and tactical insights are highly instructive and inspiring. His attention to Opening preparation and theory reveal state-of-the art in chess instruction and practice. I am proud to call him friend and mentor.”
A seasoned chess player who has been an expert most of his career and is the author of the seminal article on the history of black chess masters.
- I have known William Morrison for over forty years as a friend, chess instructor, and briefly, a room mate. During this period, I have benefited from his chess chess prowess and teaching expertise. Although I am only an occasional player, my strength online is between 1600-1700. When we first met I was an unrated ” third class wood pusher.” I have Found William’s or’The Nator’ as he is affectionately known in the Baltimore chess scene, methods to be highly energizing and effective. I am and proud and honored to recommend him as a chess instructor for pupils of any age.
Cameron E Bright
10 Good reasons for Playing Chess
Chess is a game of pure intellect, focus, and wits, in which the players win or lose solely depending on their own performance. As an educator and a chess master I believe that chess teaches the students to become more resilient and not be discouraged when they lose. The students recognize that they learn from their mistakes and often see losses as a way of learning from it and get motivated to do better. There are many benefits of playing chess, a few of the key ones are listed below:
- Chess helps to build self-confidence and self-worth.
- Chess helps to build academic skills.
- Chess improves a child’s thinking abilities.
- Chess teaches kids how to win and lose in an acceptable manner.
- Chess teaches kids the value of hard work.
- Chess teaches kids that team work pays off.
- Chess creates an intellectual social forum which helps create new friendships.
- Chess teaches kids to rely on their own abilities and take responsibility for their own actions.
- Chess teaches commitment.
- Chess teaches kids to follow rules while having fun.
For more information on benefits of playing chess, please visit the following websites:
- Susan Polgar Foundation: Excel Through Chess <Click here>
- “Chess in the Classroom” <Click here>
- “10 big brain benefits of playing chess”, Chessvibes.com<Click here>
- See what chess players are saying about benefits of playing chess on chess.com<Click here>
- “Speed Chess Changed My Brain”, The Atlantic<Click here>
- “Why Chess is Good For You”, Thinkfun.com<Click here>